Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hello again...

So, the last few days have been kind of interesting. My diet hasn't been too bad because I've been trying to be good. I've taken a liking to the 64 calorie beer. It has little to no taste that the calorie ridden beers seem to have, but sometimes you just need a beer after work...sorry. haha. However, in other aspects, my weight loss has been rather unsuccessful. For whatever reason, aside from work when I was running around the whole time, I pretty much didn't move from the couch. I guess I had a little bit of a reason because I'm studying for a Japanese aptitude test called the JLTP.

On the foodie side of things, though, I tried something VERY cool! I had the opportunity to try durian(sp?). Now, please forgive my explanation because this had, quite possibly, the most complex flavor of anything I've ever eaten in my whole life. So, let's start out with the texture. The closest thing I can related it to is a custardy, congealed snot... Now, here's were it gets kind of difficult. The taste and smell was, well...almost indescribable. Now, if you wouldn't mind, turn on your imaginary smell and taste receptors while I describe this to you. The first smell that I got was of the rotten egg smell that is put in natural gas, then it turned into a smelly french cheese with a hint of pig crap...and then, as you put it into your mouth, you get a somewhat sweet, custardy, rotten milk-y taste. Now, try to get it down your esophagus. Well, I seemed to do it and, being completely honest, I didn't hate it. I wouldn't eat it on a regular basis, but I would eat it again if someone presented it to me.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just wanted you to experience this as I did. I encourage you to try eating anything. It's ALWAYS worth it once. You never know what you'll like. :)

John

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment on my blog, John. I see we share a love of food and cooking...perhaps a little too much? And I take it you have already gone through lap-band. How long ago and what kind of success have you had so far?
    Are you planning on studying in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually had a lot of success! I started out at 300lbs in March of 2007, and at my lowest I was 200lbs, but I've kicked back up to 230 again, so I'd like to lose it again.

    I am studying abroad in Japan in the spring of 2010, so I'm very excited! Thank you for asking!!!

    By the way, I really enjoy reading your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete